Mondi Sustainable Development Report 201116/04/2012
View Full Report
Mondi, the international paper and packaging group, is pleased to announce its 2011 sustainable development report. The report highlights the progress that the Group has made in 2011 against its long term objectives to improve the sustainable development performance of the business. The report can be viewed online at http://sd-report.mondigroup.com/2011/
As with previous years, the Group reports on important areas of focus across its operations, but this year has adopted a more formal approach to identifying the issues of note to its business and stakeholders. It identified six material sustainability issues on which it should report, through incorporating stakeholder feedback and inputs from a number of different sources.
The six material issues are:
- to secure access to sustainable fibre;
- maintain licence to trade;
- understand and minimise contribution to climate change;
- recognise biodiversity concerns; and
- safeguard the wellbeing of employees and contractors.
Notable achievements in 2011 include:
- Safety - total recordable case rate reduced by 16%
- Absolute carbon emissions from material operations reduced by 1.4 million tonnes since 2004; specific scope 1 and 2 carbon emissions down by 26% in the same period
- Use of renewable energy sources increased to 57%
- 61% of wood supply FSCTM or PEFC-certified
- All owned, leased and managed forests in Russia and South Africa retained FSCTM certification
- Total value added of EUR1.8 billion.
In its report, Mondi goes further than just reviewing its performance within the parameters of the six identified business issues, by dedicating a section to an emerging issue, conserving water, to highlight its importance and the Group's performance against its targets. Additionally, Mondi has set new benchmark targets for the next five years, which will guide its sustainable development performance to 2015.
View Full Report