BT launches 2008 Sustainability report03/06/2008
View Full Report
Innovation and implementation are the themes of BT's 2008 Sustainability report. As the business powers ahead with its transformation, the report focuses on the company's commitment to responsible business practices and its search for commercial opportunities that address sustainability challenges. It also explores how sustainable practices are being successfully embedded into core business processes.
The report http://www.ethicalperformance.net/bt_betterworld.html details performance and progress achieved during the 2008 financial year and includes detailed interviews with the senior executives who sponsor the CSR strategy.
Some of the highlights include:
• GBP22.3million (USD44million) investment to improve society
• 66 per cent of suppliers working with BT to improve their sustainability impacts
• 4 per cent increase in the amount of waste recycled in our UK operations
• 66 per cent of employees feel proud to work for BT as a result of CSR strategy
• 16 per cent of new UK recruits from an ethnic minority background
• GBP365.3million saved over 5 years as a result of the environmental management programme
• Over GBP70million for good causes raised through its telephony and online support for telethons and Disaster Emergency appeals
• BT ranked top of the sector in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index for the seventh successive year
It was also the year that saw the company:
• Named 'Company of the Year' by Business in the Community for its impact on society
• Launch a new range of energy efficient home phones into the UK market
• Announce plans to develop the UK's largest wind power project outside of the energy sector. The project will aim to generate up to 25 per cent of BT's UK electricity requirements by 2016
• Create an 'opportunities map' as part of its Sustainable Economic Growth programme which quantifies the market attractiveness of sustainability related propositions.
• Begin construction of a solar photovoltaic system at its office complex in Southern California, US
• Help raise GBP140,000 to support projects in South Africa as part of the 3 year, GBP1.5million partnership with UNICEF
• Reach over 3.5million pupils with free education resource on communication skills
The fully searchable 2008 sustainability report is available online at http://www.ethicalperformance.net/bt_betterworld.html
A summary of the most material sustainability issues for BT is available in the 'Changing world: Sustained Values 2008' publication which can be downloaded in PDF format from the betterworld website. A hard copy of this report can be requested by contacting email@example.com
View Full Report