Singtel Group publishes its third Group Sustainability Report 201702/08/2017
View Full Report
The Singtel Group Sustainability Report 2017 is the company’s third Group report which covers the sustainability strategies, initiatives and performance in relation to Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) issues of its operations in Singapore and Australia for financial year ended 31 March 2017 (FY2017).
The report provides details of Singtel Group’s commitment towards creating sustainable and long-term growth for its business, while leading and shaping positive change for its four sustainability pillars namely the environment, people, community, and marketplace and customers.
The report has been prepared to be in accordance with the GRI Standards: Core option and is independently assured to the ISAE 3000. Singtel has been a signatory of the UN Global Compact since 2007 and this report presents the company’s Communication on Progress.
2017 highlights include:
- A formal stakeholder engagement and materiality assessment in FY2017 to update its 2014 findings and how the Group addresses the identified material topics;
- Year-to-date achievements of the Group’s 2020 sustainability targets for its top material topics;
- 49% improvement in the Group’s carbon emission intensity of kilowatt hour per terabyte of data transported across its network in FY2017 against baseline year 2015;
- Commencement of the Group’s Science Based Targets programme to achieve carbon reduction, the first telecommunications company in Singapore to do so;
- 12% of its total employees working in high-growth emerging technology segments compared to <1% five years ago; and
- The Group’s scorecards on key performance indicators.
In addition, Optus, Singtel Group's wholly-owned subsidiary in Australia, continues to produce a standalone Sustainability Report that gives details on its sustainability programmes in Australia.
Highlights of the Optus Sustainability Report include:
- 20th consecutive win for Optus in Netflix ISP Speed Ratings;
- A$18 million investment to address the critical skill shortage in cyber security;
- New programme that provides students with employability skills and the opportunity to secure employment with Optus;
- Led the way with innovative Employee well-being and mental health programmes; and
- Continued progress of its Carbon Reduction Plan and identification of further energy savings.
About Singtel Group
Singtel is Asia's leading communications technology group providing a portfolio of services including ICT, pay TV as well as voice and data solutions over fixed, wireless and internet platforms. We have presence in Asia, Australia and Africa with about 640 million mobile customers in 22 countries, including India, Indonesia, the Philippines and Thailand. We also have a vast network of offices throughout Europe and the United States.
We aim to create sustainable and long-term growth for our business, while leading and shaping positive changes for our marketplace and customers, the communities we operate in, our people and the environment. Singtel’s community focus is on the well-being of people, enabling their inclusion into society and helping them realise their potential through our core competence in digital and infocomm technologies. We believe that we can make a difference to disadvantaged communities, especially the vulnerable children and youth, through corporate and workplace giving, staff volunteering and leveraging our skills and ICT innovations.
Singtel is a founding member of the Singapore Business Network on DisAbility, which advocates equitable employment opportunities for persons with disabilities through awareness, shared expertise, network and resources.
Read more about Singtel’s corporate social responsibility and programmes at https://www.singtel.com/about-us/sustainability
View Full Report