Edelman Launches FY16 Citizenship Report04/11/2016
View Full Report
Firm Focuses on Creating Meaningful Stories through Citizenship
Edelman launched today its sixth Citizenship Report, “The Stories We Love to Tell.” The report highlights the firm’s continued commitment to Citizenship and features the initiatives that demonstrated the operationalization of Citizenship in FY16, from measuring progress through its unique Citizenship Score and providing comprehensive employee training, to implementing environmental sustainability efforts and increasing involvement in the communities in which it operates.
“This year’s report tells the stories we love to tell about how we are evolving from a Citizenship function to a Citizenship culture in which we embed Citizenship in everything we do,” said John Edelman, managing director, global engagement and corporate responsibility. “Today, Citizenship needs to be integrated into a company’s purpose and strategy, much like any other company function. As our 2016 global Trust Barometer study found, 80 percent of participants believe a business can increase profits and improve the economic and social conditions in their communities. Our 2016 Citizenship Report focuses on showcasing the difference we make at Edelman – for our people, our communities and our clients.”
The firm’s ongoing effort to operationalize Citizenship resulted in progress in several key areas in FY16:
- The introduction of the Ruth Edelman Citizenship Award to the firm’s annual internal Culture Awards. The new award recognizes a pro bono project that demonstrates Edelman Citizenship to the highest extent and underscores how a communications marketing strategy can impact a specific societal issue in partnership with a nonprofit client.
- The contribution of US $4,656,059 in volunteer time and donations through more than 32,000 hours of professional and general volunteerism, 140 Community Investment Grants, employee giving, and dollar-for-dollar matching initiatives by the Daniel J. Edelman Family Foundation.
- The achievement of Carbon Trust Certification, making Edelman the industry’s first firm to receive the certification worldwide. This certifies that the firm has reduced its carbon footprint and committed to further annual reductions in the 15 global offices that represent over 70 percent of its total carbon emissions.
- The submission of a second response to the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP). The firm submitted its first CDP response in FY15, providing three years of carbon data from Edelman’s hub offices, which comprise nearly two-thirds of its emissions. Edelman’s initial score showed that it outperformed the average score in its category. Edelman submitted its second response in FY16 and expects to receive an updated score in November 2016.
- A 22 percent decrease in each employee’s carbon footprint against baseline year 2011 as a result of various initiatives, including a Green Meeting Guide for use in each office, third-party carbon data collection and management, advising all offices to purchase copy paper containing 50% or higher recycled content, and setting all printers to double-sided printing.
- Continued measurement through the Citizenship Score (C-Score), a tool introduced in FY15 to provide accountability to each Edelman office through measurement against various Citizenship KPIs. While Edelman’s FY16 score of 8.0/10 is below its FY15 score of 8.2/10, the firm did reach its goal of achieving 8.0/10 once again.
To read the Edelman FY16 Citizenship Report, click here.
Edelman is a leading global communications marketing firm that partners with many of the world’s largest and emerging businesses and organizations, helping them evolve, promote and protect their brands and reputations. Edelman was named one of Advertising Age’s “Agency to Watch” in 2014; one of Forbes’ “14 Most Influential Agencies of 2014”; and The Holmes Report’s “2016 Global Agency of the Year.” Edelman was awarded the Grand Prix Cannes Lion for PR in 2014 and was among Glassdoor’s “Best Places to Work” for the third time in 2014. Edelman owns specialty firms Edelman Intelligence (research) and United Entertainment Group (entertainment, sports, experiential), a joint venture with United Talent Agency.
View Full Report