Teck Reports 2015 Sustainability Performance28/04/2016
View Full Report
Teck Resources Limited ("Teck”) has released its 15th annual Sustainability Report, covering the company’s performance in 2015 and progress towards its short- and long-term sustainability goals.
Teck’s 2015 Sustainability Report (GRI G4 Core) covers the economic, social and environmental topics that were most important to our communities of interest and business in 2015 and includes a complete review of our approach to and performance in sustainability. Our 2015 Annual Report provides further detail on our financial and operational performance.
The report was developed using a materiality assessment where Teck engaged internal and external resources, consulted with our communities of interest and reviewed our operating environment to identify the most material topics that faced our business and our communities in the past year.
2015 sustainability performance highlights include:
- $1.3 billion in wages and benefits
- 27% of total procurement spend was with locally-based suppliers
- $16.7 million in community investments in areas near our operations and globally
- 25% reduction in High Potential Incidents (HPIs) and zero fatalities
- 56% increase in the number of women in operational and technical roles since 2010
- Seven new agreements reached with Indigenous Peoples in the areas where we operate
- Tailings review boards established at 100% of our operations with major tailings facilities, as part of our comprehensive tailings management and safety program
- Reduced annual greenhouse gas emissions by approximately 200,000 tonnes and energy consumption by 1,200 terajoules since 2011
- Reused and recycled water an average of 4.5 times at our mining operations
In 2015, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the sixth consecutive year, the Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations list by Corporate Knights for the fourth consecutive year, and the FTSE4Good Global Index for the first time.
Click here to view a Teck 2015 Sustainability Report performance highlights infographic.
Teck’s full Sustainability Report is available at http://www.teck.com/responsibility/.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources.
Senior Communications Specialist
View Full Report