CLP Group Publishes 2015 Sustainability Report16/03/2016
View Full Report
CLP is committed to working closely with local governments and communities to facilitate an orderly transition to a low carbon economy.
CLP’s Sustainability Report covers the Group’s sustainability performance for the year 2015 and is published at the same time as our Annual Report.
The content of the report is prepared in accordance with the Core option of the Global Reporting Initiative’s (GRI) G4 guidelines and the Electric Utilities Sector Disclosures, and the requirements of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Reporting Guide (ESG Guide). Limited Assurance is provided by PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) on a selected set of environmental, social and governance-related Key Performance Indicators.
Sustainability highlights from 2015 include:
Our Economic Sustainability
- Our financial performance reached a record high with total earnings increased 39.6% to HK$15,670 million driven by strong performance in our overseas businesses.
- We met all our loan obligations, delivered total dividends of HKD$2.70 per share and maintained our credit ratings, with outlooks improving from negative to stable.
- In addition to good financial performance, efficient operations, good governance, compliance to laws and regulations, customer-centric initiatives, as well as product responsibility are all material aspects that contribute to our bottom line.
- There were no fatalities and we recorded 16 cases of Lost Time Injuries (LTI) in our majority-owned assets or assets under our operational control, improving from 23 cases recorded in 2014.
- We employed 7,360 people, with 510 working in wind, solar and hydro projects.
- We continued to work on promoting diversity and equal opportunity as we manage our long-term human capital challenges.
- Initiatives implemented during the year included establishing a senior management forum to review our resources, cross-regional secondments and progressively increasing the number of graduate engineering trainees.
- The carbon intensity of our Group’s generation portfolio fell to 0.81kg CO2/ kWh compared to 0.84kg CO2/ kWh in 2014.
- Our renewable energy capacity was over 3,050MW, making up 16.8% of our generating capacity.
- The Group’s total air emissions of particulates, nitrogen oxides and sulphur dioxide from our generating facilities declined between 15% to 32% compared to 2014.
- Our cash donations to charities reached HK$14.5 million, an increase from 2014.
- Our staff contributed 11,675 hours of voluntary service.
About CLP Group
CLP Holdings Limited, a company listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, is one of the largest investor-owned power businesses in Asia Pacific. It operates a vertically-integrated electricity supply business providing a highly-reliable supply of electricity to 80% of Hong Kong’s population and holds investments in the energy sector in Mainland China, India, Southeast Asia, Taiwan and Australia.
CLP is listed on the Global Dow – a 150-stock index of the world’s leading blue chips, the Dow Jones Sustainability Asia Pacific Index (DJSI Asia Pacific), the Dow Jones Sustainability Asia Pacific 40 Index (DJSI Asia Pacific 40), the Hang Seng Corporate Sustainability Index Series and MSCI Global Sustainability Index Series.
Dr Jeanne Ng
Director – Group Sustainability
CLP Holdings Limited
View Full Report