GSK Publishes Responsible Business Supplement 201411/03/2015
View Full Report
“In 2014 we made sustained progress against both the company’s strategic priorities and our commitment to operate responsibly. I was particularly proud of the progress on our commitments to improve access to medicines this year.” Sir Andrew Witty, Chief Executive Officer, GSK
GSK is a science-led global healthcare company that researches and develops innovative pharmaceuticals, vaccines and consumer healthcare products.
GSK’s long-standing commitment to responsible business remains central to the company’s strategy. To reflect this, and in further efforts to improve corporate reporting, the company has integrated more information about its responsible business approach and performance within its recent Annual Report 2014. The Responsible Business Supplement 2014, released today, provides additional detail and is structured around 23 forward-looking commitments across four areas of focus: Health for all; Our behaviour; Our people; Our planet.
In 2014, GSK made sound progress on its commitments to improve access to medicines. It reached a major milestone with the submission of a regulatory approval for its candidate malaria vaccine, RTS,S, to the European Medicines Agency. The company has committed to making the vaccine available at a not for profit price for those who need it most.
2014 also saw a critical public health emergency with the outbreak of Ebola in West Africa, which demanded an urgent response. As well as providing humanitarian support to affected regions, GSK is working with partners to accelerate the development of an Ebola vaccine at an unprecedented rate, with trials now underway.
Testament to the company’s efforts in this area, GSK topped the Access to Medicines Index in 2014 for the fourth consecutive time.
The company also made further progress on efforts to evolve its commercial model by transforming the way it engages with healthcare professionals and compensates its sales representatives.
Responsible Business highlights in 2014
- Announced £130 million investment in Africa over five years aimed at providing a portfolio of relevant products and innovative pricing strategies, supporting African R&D expertise and increasing local manufacturing capacity and capability.
- Reached a major milestone with the submission of a regulatory application for the World’s first malaria vaccine, RTS,S, to the European Medicines Agency (EMA).
- Extended tiered pricing approach to prescription medicines, asking countries to pay based on their national income and in early 2015, committed to freeze vaccine prices for ten years for those countries whose economic development will mean they are no longer eligible for support through Gavi.
- Accelerated the development of an Ebola vaccine at an unprecedented rate, with trials now underway, alongside donating £350,000 to deliver essential health services, scale-up frontline health worker capacity and reduce the spread of Ebola virus in West Africa.
- Completed the global roll-out of changes to the way sales teams are compensated, removing individual sales targets and placing the emphasis on technical skills, scientific knowledge and quality of service delivered to healthcare professionals, alongside broader business performance.
- Expanded online system whereby researchers can request access to detailed anonymised patient-level data from GSK’s clinical trials and launched a new system to include data from other companies.
- Updated employee Code of Conduct to reinforce the critical role that GSK values play in protecting reputation and commercial success.
- Made good progress on employee gender diversity – slightly increasing the proportion of women in management – and made progress on the roll-out of a preventative healthcare programme for employees and their families, reaching 15 countries so far.
- Achieved recertification of the Carbon Trust’s Carbon and Water Standards for cutting carbon emissions and water use across GSK’s global operations.
Contact email for enquiries
For further details contact: email@example.com
View Full Report